Friday, April 4, 2008

Spring

I have not posted since this summer.
I dunno that I'll ever post often.
I think I'm talking to myself, by this point, but...

It is April. Only just. A few days in.
Weather has been warm, but wet, or bright, but cold. Grass is starting to grow. Flowers are poking their tips out of the ground, and I am suppressing the urge to shout GO BACK! There's more snow coming yet!
I saw forsythia the other day. Little yellow bundles of buds on a bare twig. Forsythia are the first flowers of spring, and they sunny up a room like nothing else. Possibly because if you cut the tall twigs just as the buds are forming and put them in water in a tall vase in the sun, the buds will bloom inside, quickly and brightly.

And I have not written about food here because for almost a year I've been writing about it somewhere else, for work, and it's almost done and I am rejoicing.

I miss the woodscabin and the cooking there, and my mind has raced forward to being there again. In Spring.

What shall I cook? Spring food. Delicate baby vegetables and salads and perhaps young chicken. Light-but-filling pastas. If we wait till June I can do early fruit pies or summer pudding. Perhaps a gratin of little potatoes. I will do as every generation for ever has done, and gather the earth's first bounty to feed to my friends and my loved ones.

Spring is coming. Spring is here.

No comments: